Home AndersonValley.net - Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A smoke-affected Bird's Eye View...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AndersonValley.net - Discussions Forum Index -> All Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turkey vulture

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: A smoke-affected Bird's Eye View... Reply with quote

It's Wednesday morning at about 9.30am and for the first time in five days I can see clear across the Valley from my Nest on Gschwend Road ridge to the Holmes Ranch Road area on the other side...Having said that, on every day since this began on Saturday morning, the smoke has been getting worse as the morning progresses before dissipating somewhat by early evening. However, this is definitely the clearest day so far...
I am about five miles from two of the bigger fires - the Navarro Ridge fire near to Flynn Creek Road on the other side of the Rancho Navarro subdivision and the fire up on Nash Mill Road at Clow Ridge. Neither is threatening my property nor anyone else's around here. However, the smoke has been bad, as it is throughout The Valley...
Over the past couple of days those living in Rancho Navarro, and four other spots, have been advised to leave their homes. Many have, with most going to family and friend's homes and an alternative evacuation area being provided at The Grange on Hwy 128 between Philo and Boonville.
I was at the far side of Rancho Navarro on Flynn Creek Road early on Monday evening - less than a mile from the fire. The smoke was very thick with ash falling. By the next morning, according to a resident in Comptche on the other side of the Flynn Creek fire, most residents of Rancho Navarro had evacuated. I cannot confirm this.
Rod and Judy Basehore have been co-ordinating the moving of livestock and with my five border collies able to work sheep I have so far assisted in moving three small flocks into trailers and then into Boonville where they are being kept at The Fairgrounds. I continue to be on call to do this...
Up on the far eastern reaches of Signal Ridge, beyond the Rossi Ranch, there has also been an evacuation advisory and I have spoken to two people up there. Once again the smoke is bad but at this point they do not plan to move out although, like many others, they have done the wise thing and have prepared some belongings to take with them and have made arrangements to move animals just in case.
I spoke to a firefighter by phone last night and he says they are doing little actual fire-fighting at this point. Their focus has been to prevent the spread of the fires and so cutting down trees, clearing brush, and creating firebreak lines has been more important. He was exhausted. These guys are doing a fantastic job but are overwhelmed with the number of fires. With over one hundred active fires, many are unattended and, despite my optimism resulting from the relatively clearer skies this morning, the dangers and fears are far from over...
Be safe out there...Turkey Vulture...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AndersonValley.net - Discussions Forum Index -> All Topics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: